Birthday Cakes for Kids

With four little girls in our house, we have a lot of fun. One way we have fun & save few dollars is to make our own birthday cakes. They choose the theme and I do my best to make it happen. I'm not the best yet, but I am getting better. This blog is for me to share my ideas with you and also for you to share yours with the rest of us do-it-all moms.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Dora Cake


This was made from 2 9x13 cakes, trimmed down to 2 nice-sized layers.
I used the buttercream icing from baking911.com and I think it is my best batch yet. It reallly holds up well overnight and it is tasty, not greasy. One tip for using that recipe is use REAL Crisco & real butter & name brand powered sugar. (or is that 3 tips?) I've tried the same recipe with cheaper ingredients & it really doesn't look or taste as good.

I used white for the crumb coat. Yellow for the base coat. Then I trimmed it with orange, pink, purple, and green. Very colorful! I got tired of using the star tip, so i switched to this twirly one. I don't know what it is called. I think the number on it is 78 (by Wilton).

The decorations are some that I had from a store-bought cake from when Erin turned 4. Dora & Boots are in a wind-up car that will really travel along the track.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home