Birthday Cakes for Kids

With four little girls in our house, we have a lot of fun. One way we have fun & save few dollars is to make our own birthday cakes. They choose the theme and I do my best to make it happen. I'm not the best yet, but I am getting better. This blog is for me to share my ideas with you and also for you to share yours with the rest of us do-it-all moms.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Elmo & Big Bird Cake ~ Fondant Adventures


This was more work than I thought it would be! Since I didn't know what I was doing, it started out fun & then became frustrating. Getting the fondant to the right consistency made it difficult to form shapes without it tearing. I probably will try it again someday. I'm sure if I kept practicing at it, I'd get better... but I think I'll stick to good old buttercream icing for awhile.

The recipe for the fondant was really easy. I used Marshmallow Fondant, which is very simple, yet very messy. My problem was that I was lacking a non-stick roller & one of those Roul'Pat Pastry Mats. Once I rolled the fondant out, it stuck to the counter and/or tore a bit when I tried to transer it to the cake.

This kind of fondant does taste better than the usual fondant that one can buy pre-made. Some of it was made to look like little gumballs, which made eating it easy & fun.

Overall, I'm glad I did it. Next time I will be prepared & maybe it will be more fun.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger rcsnickers said...

have you added vanilla or almond extract to this fondant recipe? Does that make it taste better?

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home